Jambo! Welcome to Kenya.
Kenya, situated on the equator along Africa’s east coast, is best known for its mountains, deserts, colourful tribal culture, beaches, coral reefs and some of Africa’s best wildlife attractions. Kenya also rates as one of the top five bird-watching destinations in the world. It is bordered by Ethiopia, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda and Sudan.
Coca-Cola started operations in Kenya in 1948, on a Nairobi plot measuring just a quarter of an acre. The new beverage proved so popular that another production line was commissioned almost immediately in the coastal town of Mombasa. CCS acquired NBL in 1995.
Coca-Cola Sabco’s Kenyan plant in Embakasi, Nairobi, employs approximately 825 people. It is one of the biggest bottling plants in the group. This state-of- the-art facility was officially opened by Kenyan president Mwai Kibaki in 2005.
The establishment of the Embakasi plant was made possible by the tremendous success of its predecessors, Nairobi Bottlers Ltd (NBL) and Flamingo Bottlers Ltd in Nakuru, which together contributed almost 50% of the country’s total volume. The two joined forces with East Kenya Bottlers Limited (EKBL) in 2002 and, in 2003, entered an exciting joint venture – Beverage Services Kenya Ltd (BSK) – to boost their business further.
Coca-Cola Sabco’s achievements in Kenya include the following:
- In 1995, NBL received the ‘Highest Quality Award’ and was named Kenya’s ‘Bottler of the Year’.
- In 2003, EKBL was the ‘Bottler of the Year’.
- In 2007, NBL won two awards in the prestigious Company of the Year Awards for Kenyan companies and organizations.
- In 2008, NBL won the first runner-up award in the prestigious ‘Company of the Year’ Award in Kenya.
- In 2009, NBL won the Marketing award in the prestigious Company of the Years Award in Kenya.
Kenyans enjoy a wide range of beverages, including Coca-Cola, Coke Light, Sprite, Stoney, Dasani and those from the Krest, Schweppes and Sparletta groups.
- In 2010 NBL won Gold Quality Award recognition by Coca Cola Company
- In 2010 NBL awarded QEOSH Compliant and ISO Certification Certificate
- In 2011 NBL won ‘Best Practice’ Award by CCS
- In 2012 Operational Excellence – ‘OE’ – Wave 2 recognition by Coca-Cola Company